Configuring Xorg on a Brix Mini PC to work with the Mitsubishi WS-55513 HD1080 rear projection TV

Or, how to get your pc to output video to the WS-55513 without massive overscan

Posted by Orville Bennett on March 28, 2015
Read time: about 2 minutes

I recently bought a barebones mini PC system with the intent of setting it up as a video game and video streaming server. After a lot of searching and reading of reviews, I settled on an AMD based Brix PC from Gigabyte, the Gigabyte AMD A8-5545M. Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to purchase it, the AMD Brix was out of stock. That’s how I ended up with the Gigabyte GB-BXI3-4010.

After sucessfully getting Manjaro Linux on a USB drive and installing it, I booted up the Brix box with my Dell monitor connected. As video output was fine with my monitor I assumed all was well with this installation. Intending to hook this up to our old Mitsubishi DLP TV—a Mitsubishi WS-55513 HD1080—I took the Brix box downstairs, connected it to the TV. However, after started it I saw … nothin’. For some reason I couldn’t get video output to the TV.

After much searching on the internets and, one HDMI cable switch, I eventually got video from the Brix box to output video to my TV. I also had to use some custom modelines for Xorg to get rid of some massive overscan1. The modeline that finally worked was ModeLine "in1080i" 74.5 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126 -hsync -vsync interlace. I found this info on the MythTV wiki.

I also found myself at the Gentoo Wiki Archives site which provided these 1080i modelines, along with the 1760 modeline that I found worked.

#ModeLine "My1080i2" 74.52 1920 1952 2016 2208 1080 1084 1096 1126 -hsync -vsync interlace
#ModeLine "Another1080i" 74.250 1920 1960 2008 2200 1080 1084 1096 1126 interlace -hsync -vsync
#Modeline "My1920x1080_i" 74.52 1920 1952 2016 2208 1080 1084 1096 1126 -HSync -VSync Interlace
#Modeline "in1080_i" 74.52 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126 -HSync -VSync Interlace
#Modeline "1920x1080_59i" 76.11 1920 1952 2240 2272 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
#Modeline "1920x1080_60i" 77.60 1920 1952 2240 2272 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
#Modeline "1920x1080_61i" 79.08 1920 1952 2248 2280 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
#Modeline "1776x1000_60i" 65.91 1776 1808 2056 2088 1000 1023 1028 1051 interlace

Finding the proper Modeline was half the battle though. I now had to add this information to the Xorg configuration file to get it used. I added this information to the “Monitor” and “Screen” sections of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf file which you can see below.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Mitsubishi"
        ModelName "MEUSPTV1"
        VendorName "MEL"
        # Monitor Manufactured week 12 of 2003
        # EDID version 1.3
        # Digital Display
        # Display Physical Size not given. Normal for projectors.
        # Gamma 2.20
        # Option "DPMS" "true"
        # Maximum pixel clock is 80MHz
        # Option "ModeDebug" "TRUE"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "in1080i"

        ModeLine "in1080i" 74.5 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126 -hsync -vsync interlace
        Modeline "My1920x1080_i" 74.52 1920 1952 2016 2208 1080 1084 1096 1126 -HSync -VSync Interlace
        #Modeline "1920x1080i" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync
        Modeline "720x480@59" 27.00 720 736 798 858 480 486 495 525 -hsync -vsync
        #Modeline "in1080_i" 74.52 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126 -HSync -VSync Interlace
        #Modeline "1920x1080_59i" 76.11 1920 1952 2240 2272 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
        #Modeline "1920x1080_60i" 77.60 1920 1952 2240 2272 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
        #Modeline "1920x1080_61i" 79.08 1920 1952 2248 2280 1080 1104 1110 1135 interlace
        #Modeline "1776x1000_60i" 65.91 1776 1808 2056 2088 1000 1023 1028 1051 interlace
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen1"
   Device     "Device0"
   Monitor    "Mitsubishi"
   DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection             "Display"
        Depth              16
        Modes              "in1080i" "My1920x1080_i" "1920x540@60" "720x480@59" #Choose the resolution
    EndSubSection
    SubSection             "Display"
        Depth              24
        Modes              "in1080i" "My1920x1080_i" "1920x540@60" "720x480@59" #Choose the resolution
    EndSubSection
EndSection

After adding this information to my xorg config I was able to get the TV to switch to those different resolutions. Of course, only the in_1080i resolution was any good. There were many resources used to figure this out so I’ll just list them here 2,3,4,5,6,7.